Translate

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Native American Nails

Today I'd like to share my Native American-inspired nails.  My great-grandmother was Cherokee, something I didn't find out until four years ago.  I'd always wondered why I loved Native American music, regalia, dance, everything about the culture, and now I know why.

These were done in honor of a dear friend who is Cherokee/Pamunkey.  We all call her Mama Eagle Bear; this is one dedicated, hard-working lady.  She and her husband have worked very hard to raise money to help with repair costs on homes in the Pine Ridge Reservation.  Pine Ridge is the poorest reservation in America, and it's heartbreaking to know that the native people of this land are living in the utmost poverty, especially given that the government had promised assistance.  The homes are falling apart and have mold, no heat, no air conditioning, nothing.  Mama Eagle Bear has taken donations of not only money, but supplies, food, clothing, everything that the Pine Ridge people are in need of.  Needless to say, it's going to take much more to restore this reservation, but I believe it can happen.

Thank you, Mama Eagle Bear, for all that you do.  Aho.










Hope you enjoyed these, thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your bringing attention to the situation of Native Americans. It's really disgraceful. My grandfather was born on the Blackfoot reservation and left it but his brother lived on a reservation in Canada all his life.

    I am nominating you for a Liebster! Please see my blog for the details. I have it all as a regular post. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete