Translate

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

MIA Blogger and nail art

I know I've been MIA for over a month now, and I am so sorry for that.  I've been getting busier with work, finishing requirements so I can finally get my State Board exams out of the way, as well as battling severe fatigue.

I've kept on with the ABC Challenge, but haven't done any real nail art up until two days ago.  Sometimes I get creative burnout thanks to fatigue, but this idea was brewing for about a week until I had the chance to do it.

Before I share photos, I want to explain where the fatigue comes from.  Last September I was diagnosed, for the third time, with mononucleosis.  I spoke with my doctor and learned that the Epstein-Barr virus, which causes mono, can actually reactivate due to stress or a weakened immune system.  This virus attacks the immune system and has caused me to become more susceptible to the flu, colds, and any other ick that flies through.  The worst symptom of EBV, for me, is severe fatigue.  Some days I feel okay, others I am tired from the moment I wake up.  I'm taking supplements and trying to take better care of myself so that I can get better, but it's not easy.  I work 4-hour shifts at the school/spa, plus another four hours for work study.  I have an awful habit of pushing myself to almost breaking point, because I know if I sit and rest I won't get back up.
The fatigue has affected me creatively, and some more stress has caused more issues, plus my neck has acted up again (last year I had a small bulging disc in my neck, went 3x a week to my chiropractor, and had it fixed without surgery). 

I feel bad that I haven't maintained this blog or my Facebook page, but the weariness has kept me from doing a lot of the things I once loved.  The good thing is that there may be a peak after this valley, so hopefully soon my body will recover and I'll be able to gradually begin my daily walks.

All this said, I want to show you my newest nail art.  I went to AC Moore and grabbed two detail brushes for less than $6, and I love them.  They have made it so much easier for me to really get into putting fine detail into my nail art.  I do use acrylic paints because they are easier to work with and don't end up globbing up my brush, but I do use a combination of acrylic and polish because some of my polishes are just the right colors for what I need.

I was about 9 years old when The Little Mermaid came out.  I LOVE mermaids, always have, and that movie sent me into a tizzy.  I cried like a baby at the end and wondered how she could leave her precious daddy...and then wondered if Triton and his daughters ever got legs sometimes and came to visit Ariel.  I got the movie for my 10th birthday and had it memorized within a month.  I'm surprised the VHS has lasted as long as it has, considering how often I've watched it.  My love for The Little Mermaid and the sea has lasted, and I hope it always will.

As I browsed through my nail art inspiration folder, I happened upon a gorgeous mani that got my creative gears going.  A few fish photos later, I had the groundwork for the mani laid.  I searched for photos of Ariel and settled for a silhouette.  I settled on four saltwater fish to paint, and got to work.  One hour, 27 minutes later (yes, I timed it!), I had this:






My camera's batteries had been used up when we had a nasty storm last week and needed our weather radio, so I took this with my phone, uploaded it onto my Facebook page, and then downloaded it so I can have it on my laptop.  It's not perfect, but I'm so happy with how it turned out and I hope you like it.

I'll try to keep up with this blog as it deserves and try not to take another monthlong hiatus.  Thank you all for sticking with me.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment